- I co-organise an event called codebar in Sydney, which is a place for underrepresented groups in tech to get starting in programming for free. I organise workshops, tutor, help students get industry experience and provide advice.
- I wrote an article for A List Apart: From Pages to Patterns: An exercise for everyone.
At Clearleft I've worked on a range of projects for large clients and well-known brands. I mostly built pattern libraries or helped teams build their own. I also built some of Clearleft's conference websites.
Web Directions, Code in Melbourne, August 2017.
Thanks to progressive enhancement, we can make use of new CSS properties, even when not everyone uses a browser that supports them. Here are some examples of CSS that we can use now; what we can use with care; and what we can be ready for. But, it's not all about using new CSS properties; we can all play a part in their development too. Slides are on Speakerdeck.
Beyond Tellerrand conference (Berlin), November 2016.
When everyone is so used to working with pages, it can be difficult to adopt a new way of thinking—particularly for those who are not designers and developers. This talk looks at how we can help everyone in the team adopt pattern thinking. This includes anyone with a decision to make—not just designers and developers. The whole team can start developing a shared vocabulary and attempt to make the challenge of naming things a little easier. Slides are available on Speakerdeck. Video is available on Vimeo.
Front End North conference (Sheffield) in September 2016.
Described above: CSS: Current Soon Someday.
Dot York Conference (York) in June 2016.
As a web developer, I’m learning all the time. I need to know how to make my code work, but more importantly, I want to understand why my code works. I’ve learnt most of what I know from people sharing what they know and I love that I can now do the same. In my talk I shared my highlights and frustrations of continuous learning, my experiences of working with a mentor and fitting it into my first year at Clearleft. The talk transcript is on my blog.
- UpFront Conference (Manchester), May 2016. I presented "From Pages to Patterns", which is described in my talk for Beyond Tellerand (above).
- Bytes mini conference (Brighton), October 2015. I spoke about building pattern libraries.
- Talk Web Design (London), a conference for students, May 2015. I spoke about my journey into the web industry.